martes, 19 de marzo de 2019

Holi 2019: ‘We learnt to stay indoors, because boys never learnt about consent’ | Parenting News, The Indian Express

Holi 2019: ‘We learnt to stay indoors, because boys never learnt about consent’ | Parenting News, The Indian Express

Updated: March 19, 2019 5:30:44 pm

Holi 2019: ‘We learnt to stay indoors, because boys never learnt about consent’

“When we let the children fling balloons on a man hurrying home or a woman walking down the street, we are telling them that it is acceptable to disrespect their personal space, and completely disregard their consent.”

holi and consent, celebrate holi, holi 2019
Holi 2019: Teach kids about consent at an early age. (Source: Getty Images)
By Tanu Shree Singh


It’s in the air. The neighbourhood children are excited. Till a few years back, the boys too hounded me to get some water balloons and colours. We have thankfully graduated to herbal colours over the years but I still cringe at balloons. I remember walking down the street years back and a balloon landing splat on my arm. The arm hurt for quite some time and the clothes were ruined for good. When I turned to look, all I saw were a few tiny heads on a nearby terrace. I wanted to walk up and give them all a big chunk of my mind. But that could invite more unpleasantness so I let it go. The grown-ups would have pointed out, “Tch! They are kids. That’s what they will do, no!”

No hay comentarios: