viernes, 23 de agosto de 2019

Stories can repair broken dignity: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Lifestyle News, The Indian Express

Stories can repair broken dignity: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Lifestyle News, The Indian Express

Life Positive, Indian Express
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie insists we reject the idea of a single story (Designed by Rajan Sharma)
“I am a storyteller… I read British and American children’s books. When I began to write at the age of seven, I wrote exactly the kinds of stories I was reading. All my characters were white and blue-eyed. They played in the snow. They ate apples. And they talked a lot about the weather. This, despite the fact I had never been outside Nigeria,” she says.


What this demonstrates is how impressionable and vulnerable we are in the face of a story; particularly as children,” she says. “Things changed when I discovered African books… I realised that people like me — girls with skin the colour of chocolate, whose kinky hair could not form ponytails could also exist in literature”.

No hay comentarios: