viernes, 8 de marzo de 2019

I Am Building SLS: Leeann Clayton | NASA

I Am Building SLS: Leeann Clayton | NASA



I Am Building SLS: 

Leeann Clayton

Leean Clayton works on SLS
Credits: NASA Marshall
Turning Wrenches to Testing Hardware: Engineer Tests World's Most Powerful Rocket
I grew up turning a wrench at my dad's gas station, and now I work on one of the most sophisticated spaceships ever to be built. Working as a Boeing engineer who is building and testing the world's most powerful rocket, NASA's Space Launch System, has exceeded even my wildest dreams.
In the "middle of nowhere" in South Alabama, Dixons Mills, I hauled wood, pumped gas and worked on cars. My brother is the business guy, following in my mom's footsteps. I've always loved mechanics, and knew I'd do something in mechanics or aerospace. Now, I have my dream job, helping NASA build a rocket that will return humans to the Moon and then on to Mars.
I test rocket hardware and systems to be sure their performance meets the engineers' expectations through launch and ascent. NASA estimates the stress loads, or forces, on the rocket, and we simulate those loads, plus a little more. On a day-to-day basis, I'm trying to pull together all the things necessary to get ready for testing, coordinating with my NASA counterpart and team members in quality and engineering. Then, it's test day.
During a test, when I hear a noise in the test area, it's natural to want to look at the video feed. But as test conductor, I can't take my eyes off the data. And that's OK.  I love the data. I always have. Math is fun, and I was tutoring other students in math by seventh grade.
I received my mechanical engineering degree from the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa and worked my way through college, landing a co-op job with Boeing -- and I've been here ever since.  I earned my master's degree in aerospace and mechanical engineering while I worked on the International Space Station as a safety engineer. I later worked on a satellite program and a few other programs before supporting SLS. When I look at the space station in the night sky, I have an enormous sense of pride, knowing I personally helped ensure the safety of a place where astronauts have lived for almost 20 years. The research they are conducting in orbit has improved our lives on Earth and provided invaluable data that will keep people safe as we explore the Moon.
Working on a rocket program is a big deal, and I can’t wait for launch. SLS will be the most powerful rocket ever built, and I have been working on its core stage, which is the largest rocket stage ever constructed. I love to meet people and tell them, "I’m building the rocket that will take us to Mars."
Last Updated: Aug. 10, 2018
Editor: Jennifer Harbaugh

No hay comentarios: