jueves, 22 de agosto de 2019

The ultimate tribute to my Khayyam | The Indian Express

The ultimate tribute to my Khayyam | The Indian Express



The ultimate tribute to my Khayyam

To share my memories of him is to share the poetry, cinema and music we made together.

Each time, a new world was born in Khayyam’s music room. (Illustration by C R Sasikumar)


Khayyam is no more. He was the last of those who lived the melody, who was intoxicated, and could intoxicate others. When people like him depart, the vacuum they leave behind can only be filled by their legacy. A legacy that speaks to the human soul. I may not understand the scope of his art, what he contributed to his profession and the medium. But he certainly enriched me and my work with what we did together. There is more to him than what meets the eye, than Umrao Jaan. For me, there is Anjuman, Gaman and Zooni. My entire journey with Khayyam had Shahryar for company — my favourite poet from Aligarh, so very alien to the ways of Bollywood. He could understand me better than I understood myself, as was the case in “Seene mein jalan…” from Gaman. Sharing my Khayyam is, therefore, difficult without sharing my Shahryar and understanding my films is difficult without understanding their music and poetry. Today, both the poetry and music are lost.

No hay comentarios: