Anne: My everyday extraordinary 

is capturing and preserving 

NASA’s history and work

Anne Mills, Records Management and History Officer
Anne Mills
Credits: NASA
Other than people, information is our biggest asset. My job is to make sure we are managing the records we generate that tell what we’re doing, why we’re doing it and documenting the work of NASA so that researchers have that information for future projects. Part of my job is that when people retire or leave, I do a records appraisal. So when someone leaves a cabinet full of papers or records, I determine what is or is not a record, what should be destroyed and what should be maintained. In doing one of these, I found a retirement book—a collection of photos of your career and well wishes from your coworkers that you get when you retire from NASA’s Glenn Research Center. This retirement book was from 1994 and apparently it had never been presented to the person. Ten years after his retirement, I tracked down the retiree who didn’t even know he was supposed to get a retirement book. It was one of those warm, fuzzy moments where I really felt like I was in the public service. 
Are you ready to explore the extraordinary?  
 
Last Updated: April 2, 2018
Editor: Rachael Blodgett