miércoles, 22 de mayo de 2019

Spirit of Ramadan campaign highlights stories of self-acceptance, love and faith | Lifestyle News, The Indian Express

Spirit of Ramadan campaign highlights stories of self-acceptance, love and faith | Lifestyle News, The Indian Express

Written by Pooja Pillai |Updated: May 22, 2019 9:11:30 am

Spirit of Ramadan campaign highlights stories of self-acceptance, love and faith

It was important to highlight that these questions of identity and faith are not limited to one country or even one faith, which is why, diversity is a key driver of the Spirit of Ramadan campaign.

His story perhaps is similar to the story of other people from around the world, who have discovered a spiritual anchor in religion only later in life.


Born and raised in the Netherlands by South Asian parents, who were themselves born and raised in Suriname, Amar Somaroo had a fairly cosmopolitan upbringing. “My upbringing was Hindu, with aspects of Islam coming through other family members,” he says, adding, “I did always have family who celebrated Eid but I was never involved with Ramadan myself when I was younger.” In his late teens, however, he found himself drawn to Islam. “I felt a deep-rooted connection with it. When I learned more about my paternal Afghani ancestors, my interest grew further and I started with Ramadan. First, a couple of days a year and more and more as the years progressed,” says Somaroo.

No hay comentarios: